PhD-positions (7 positions)
Jobbnorge ID: 164761
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us - globally, nationally and locally - we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
At the Faculty of Medicine, seven (7) PhD-positions are available, starting 1 September 2019.
Candidates from the Medical Student Research Programme at the faculty, finishing their degree spring 2019, are especially welcome to apply. You may apply for both open and earmarked positions. Please inform which position/positions you are applying for in your application letter.
Four (4) positions are open PhD-grants
One (1) position is earmarked odontology
One (1) position is earmarked applicants in Stavanger/Haugesund/Førde. The project must be affiliated to a research environment at the Health Trusts in Stavanger, Haugesund or Førde.
One (1) position is earmarked Medical and Health Professions Education at Centre of Medical Education. Medical and health professions education is an internationally growing research field, focusing on learning, teaching and educational process within medicine and health sciences. The PhD-position is related to the study plan revisions within the medical program at UiB. Projects focusing on professional identify and professionalism will be prioritized.
The positions are full-time (100 %) positions and the candidates will be appointed for a period of four (4) years or max 4 months after completed the PhD-degree, if this is achieved within a shorter time than four years. The positions include 25 % required duties such as development, teaching, exam work or supervision, depending on the demands at the department/centre.
The positions will be affiliated with a department at the faculty relevant for the project.
It is possible to combine a part-time (50 %) PhD-position with another part-time (50 %) position. The total employment period for these combined positions amounts to six (6) years. This must be informed of in the application and must be approved by both employers within starting date.
Evaluation of the applicant:
Applicants are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Applicant: The applicant's competence, grades and relevant professional activity. Applicants must have a master`s degree
- Project: The scientific value of the project in addition to its feasibility within the framework of the PhD program and research fellowship.
- Research environment: The research environment's ability to develop the candidate, national and international specialist networks, relevant publication activity and experience in supervising. Interdisciplinary projects connected to strong research environments will be emphasized in the evaluation process.
- Visits at international institutions for periods of 6-12 months will be emphasized in the evaluation process.
You will find more information here.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The positions are for applicants with a professional education or a Masters' degree relevant for research areas at the faculty.
- Applicants whose education is from other countries need to also enclose a certified translation of the diploma and transcript of grades to English or a Scandinavian language, if the original is not in any of these languages. It is required that the applicant enclose a review from NOKUT whether the education is of a scope and level corresponding to the level of a Norwegian Master's degree. Please see www.nokut.no/en for more information about NOKUT's general recognition. This will take some time and we recommend you to contact NOKUT as soon as you decide to apply for the position. If no review by the application deadline, please enclose a confirmation from NOKUT that they have received your application.
- Language qualifications: http://www.uib.no/en/med/115526/english-language-requirements-phd-admission
About the PhD position:
Organized research training (PhD program):
The candidate must take part in the University of Bergen approved PhD programme leading to the degree within the time limit. You must have admission to the organized research training (PhD program) at the Faculty in order to qualify for the position.
Application for admission to the PhD programme, including a project plan outline for the training plan must be submitted no later than three months after the date of commencement.
PhD-positions are fixed term positions. You cannot be employed in a PhD-position for more than one fixed term period at the same institution or have had similar employment at an institution in the region. The teaching language is usually in Norwegian. At the PhD-programme the teaching language is in English. Language qualifications: http://www.uib.no/en/med/115526/english-language-requirements-phd-admission
Supervisors who are employed at the Faculty of Medicine must have completed the faculty`s online course for PhD supervisors at the time of the application deadline for further processing of the application.
Main supervisor should be employed at the Faculty of Medicine and at least one of your supervisors must be employed at the Faculty of Medicine. Supervisor must be available at the Faculty throughout the employment period. There will only be one application evaluated from each main supervisor within each application category. The supervisor must inform how many candidates he/she already is supervising as main and co-supervisor.
We can offer:
- exciting development opportunities as part of your role in a strong professional environment
- salary level 51 (code 1017/pay framework 20.9) NKR 449 400 on the government salary scale. For applicants with at least one year of employment in a position as a General Practitioner or Dentist level 53. Further increases in salary will be based on seniority in the position. For applicants with specialist education level 58 (code 1017/pay framework 20.17)
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
Submit application and CV (max 4 pages) using the template.
In the application letter you must include the title of your project, in addition to the name of your main- and possible additional supervisors. You may apply for both open and earmarked positions. Please inform which position/positions you are applying for in your application letter.
You may have up to eight attachments. These must be named according to contents and with numbers from 1-8 as follows:
1. Project description, maximum six pages, including summary and references. The project description must include topic, problem for discussion and choice of theory and method, template
2. Witnessed certified copies of diplomas and transcripts of all academic grades
3. Applicants whose education is from other countries need to also enclose a certified translation of the diploma and transcript of grades to English or a Scandinavian language, if the original is not in any of these languages. It is required that the applicant enclose a review from NOKUT whether the education is of a scope and level corresponding to the level of a Norwegian Master's degree. Please see www.nokut.no/en for more information about NOKUT's general recognition. This will take some time and we recommend you to contact NOKUT as soon as you decide to apply for the position. If no review by the application deadline, please enclose a confirmation from NOKUT that they have received your application. Language qualifications: http://www.uib.no/en/med/115526/english-language-requirements-phd-admission
4. Possible scientific work (pdf) and list of publications.
5. Statement from supervisors (max 1 page), main supervisor's CV (max 4 pages) using the template, candidate production, main supervisor's publications over the last five years, main supervisor`s number of total PubMed publications, as first, second and last author, and main supervisor`s H-index in accordance with Web of Science, template. Date for completed the faculty`s course for supervisors. How many candidates you are supervising as main and co-supervisor.
6. Review of research group (max 1 page)
7. Invitation letter from the foreign institution (when a stay abroad is part of the project).
8. Other relevant enclosures.
Please note that we will not be able to evaluate your application if lacking important documents.
For more information regarding technical matters connected to the application process, please contact Adviser Eldbjørg Sanden Søvik (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +47 55 58 61 42).
For more information on the positions, please contact the Vice Dean Roland Jonsson (e-mail: email@example.com, phone: +47 55 97 46 49).
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
For further information about the recruitment process, click here.
Se annonsen og søk på stillingen www.jobbnorge.no
Stillingsnummer: 1209-2019-02-311 (Oppgis ved kontakt med NAV)
Kilde: Overført fra arbeidsgiver